That’s fortunate for all of us because Ludovic is a vigneron who encapsulates the ingenuity and progressive thinking that’s defined Montlouis-sur-Loire over the past two decades. He trusts his process and focuses on farming. Ludo’s estate now stands at around six hectares, of which five are dedicated to Chenin Blanc. These are all planted on a plateau in the village of Husseau with clay-heavy soils that are littered with silex and feature a deep limestone base. He makes a range of wines both still and sparkling, none of which are red. He is certainly a specialist.
- Pétillant Naturel ‘Ich i Go’ 2017: Ludo gets to show off his experimental side here. A rosé pet nat made from a Pineau d’Aunis heavy blend with a touch of Gamay. With this being Ludo’s only non-white wine, he wants to make sure he makes it count. The balance of fruit and spice here is on another planet completely.
- Pétillant Naturel ‘Sans Pagne’ 2017: Keeping with the sparkling theme, we come to this wine, which is an equal parts blend of Sauvignon Blanc and Chardonnay. A great wine for anyone searching for an "intro to natural wine" for their friends. Co-fermented in fiberglass, there are just 15 ppm of sulfur added to this fresh and approachable wine.
- Sauvignon Blanc ‘Gavroche’ 2017: This is Ludo's Pet Sounds. This wine is nothing like you’re expecting. It takes Sauvignon Blanc to the next level. So much texture, so much power. Beautiful intermingling of tropical fruits and minerals to create your new favorite every night wine.
- Les Cabotines 2017: Chenin Blanc vines planted in Montlouis’ classic Aubuis soil, with some pebbles, limestone, and silex. Fully developed, dense, and powerful while showing off Chenin at its finest. Dry but ripe, seductive yet reserved. I love you, Chenin Blanc.
- Les Pechers 2017: OFF DRY WINES PAIR WITH SPICY FOODS. OFF DRY WINES PAIR WITH SPICY FOODS. OFF DRY WINES PAIR WITH SPICY FOODS.
- Implicite 2015: Let’s romanticize for a moment. It’s getting colder, days are getting shorter, and there’s one more pass of grapes to be picked before it’s all done for the season. That's what's in Ludo's Implicite Chenin Blanc. A stunning example of Montlouis terroir which is drinkable now, but why deny yourself the pleasure of laying this one down for a bit and seeing how it evolves.
- Eric Moorer