This red blend is a big Cali mood.
Mood Ring is a fascinating red blend from Ashanta wines that has equal parts vintages of the 2020 and 2021 Zinfandel, 2020 Carignan and 2021 Merlot. This complicated chillable red is sensuous and chocolatey at times, then switches gears to zingy electric fruit aromas. It’s ever shifting and ever changing, just like a mood ring.
- Chenoa Ashton-Lewis is a woman of color and Oakland native who returned to her family's plot of vines after teaming up with Will Basanta, a cinematographer, to make Ashanta Wines in October of 2019.
- Chenoa and Will practice zero-zero winemaking, where nothing is added and nothing is taken away.
- The certified organic and biodynamically farmed Carignan vines are over 70 years old from the Testa Vineyard in the Mendocino AVA.
- Chenoa and Will were mentored by natty wine legend and jazz aficionado - Tony Coturri.
- Any of these recipes for Poke Cakes.
- Tie dye of any and all kinds.
- Hilltop picnics.