Merlot is IN again.
Not sure about that? Well just hit up some Picard from Florez Wines and it will make you a believer. Picard is 100% Merlot from the Santa Cruz Mountains’ Hunter Hill Vineyard. The fruit was destemmed and fermented with native yeasts in a traditional French cuve, and pressed at dryness. Not your typical plump fruit bomb, Picard is restrained and elegant with loads of acidity.
- Florèz Wines was founded by James Jelks in 2017, and his process is all about prioritizing old world technique and sensibility.
- After completing his degree in Oenology at UC Davis, James studied winemaking all over the world for 10 years before starting his own project in Santa Cruz.
- It was never James Jelk’s plan to make a Merlot, but he ultimately agreed to have his friend German Soho farm a small parcel organically for him.
- This wine was bottled in a Burgundy bottle out of defiance.
- Star Trek marathon.
- Schooling your friend who regularly quotes Paul Giamatti’s lines from Sideways.
- Vintage clothing - because trends change, but style is eternal.