For the adventurous and daring–
Parcela Maralagua is a tiny, treacherously steep plot that sits between 150-250 meters elevation just above the Atlantic Ocean, on the northern side of Tenerife. This cuvée is a field blend composed of too many grapes to name from this rare parcel, fermented in old 500 liter barrels whole cluster, then raised in neutral French oak for just under a year. A serious and structured red showcasing one of the distinctive terruños of the Canary Islands.
- Envinate is a unicorn producer helmed by Laura Ramos, Jose Martínez, Roberto Santana, and Alfonso Torrente.
- Some of the varietals in this cuvee are Listan Negro, Listan Prieto, Baboso, Negramoll, and Malvasia Negra.
- Maralagua translates to “Mother of the Water.”
- The 100 year old, pre-phylloxera vines grow wild in these dense volcanic soils and were tended by José Angel Alonso and Envinaté.
- Albondigas - try this recipe from the New York Times.
- Game of “Never Have I Ever.”