Sometimes Syrah can be light and ethereal, and such is the case with Les Deplaudes de Tartaras 'Le Vent Se Leve.' Picture florals mixed with bramble. Lean and elegant - but wild all the same.
- Pierre-Andre and Anne Deplaude consider themselves farmers first, and wine was actually an afterthought after operating a thriving grainery and dairy farm.
- In the early 2000s a drop in milk prices instigated a shift in their priorities, and they decided to take some of their most interesting land and convert it to vineyards.
- The Deplaudes made the conversion to Biodynamic Viticulture in 2009.
- These 10-year-old Syrah vines face the rising sun, and are harvested by hand prior to being vinified for 11 months in demi-muids and oak barrels.
- A motorcycle ride.
- Purple-tinted sunglasses.
- Absurdly stinky cheese.